[Mailman-Users] bulk subscribe 7K users

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Sep 30 14:15:26 EDT 2017

On 09/29/2017 11:34 AM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:

> a few days ago I made a mistake (?) of uploading a list of ~7000
> addresses into the "bulk subscribe" box. None of them made it into the
> subscriber list, but at least some of the welcome e-mails went out.
>
> Question: what is mailman actually doing? Is it waiting for all the
> retries and bounces before it updates the subscriber list? Or has it
> failed and I need to re-do the whole thing?

Presumably the web browser timed out or was interrupted. The process is
subscribing the members one at a time. This will send a welcome as each
user is subscribed, but the updated list configuration is not saved
until the process is complete. Thus, if it's interrupted prior to
completion, the list is not actually updated and no one is subscribed.

> I see some of those addresses in the logs so it looks like it's the
> former. If it is, is there any way to monitor mailman's progress?

It's done. Nothing is "in progress". You might look at the web server
logs for the actual POST entry. It probably shows a 500 status and there
may be an error message with traceback in the web server's error log
and/or Mailman's error log.

If you really wanted to add those members, you need to rerun the mass
subscribe, preferably in smaller chunks, or you could use Mailman's
command-line bin/add_members. If you use the web UI, you can add
"additional text" to the welcome message to the effect that the user
should ignore a prior welcome if any. This is not available with
add_members.