[Mailman-Users] spam discard expressions

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Sep 29 11:02:49 EDT 2017

On 09/29/2017 12:13 AM, Jim Dory wrote:

> I opened a trouble ticket to see if the host support had a solution to all
> the spam. They suggested setting the spam reject score in SpamAssassin for
> our VPS server at 3.5.  When I had it set earlier at 5, it started marking
> member's posts as spam and rejected them. Didn't seem to fix when I moved
> that score number to 1, though that might not be a proper number to use, I
> don't know.

SpamAssassin scores measure "spaminess"; the higher the score, the more
likely the message is spam. If a threshold of 5 gives false positives, 1
will give many more false positives. If you are getting too many false
positives, you need to raise the reject score, not lower it. Or, you can
adjust the score for rules that contribute too much to false positives.

There are a lot of things you can do with custom rules and scoring in
SpamAssassin, but this is not the list for discussing that.