[Mailman-Users] individual moderation notices stopped suddenly

Sun Sep 3 17:45:45 EDT 2017

On 9/3/17 5:19 PM, Larry Kuenning wrote:
> On 9/3/2017 3:11 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
>
>> I believe it is intentional that you do not get notified for post held
>> for 'emergency moderation'. My understanding of the purpose of
>> 'emergency moderation' is for a short term emergency when a lot of 'bad'
>> posts (like spam) are getting to the list. It is intended to be a short
>> term patch till you can figure out a better method, then you will turn
>> off the emergency moderation. In this case you will likely get flooded
>> with moderation messages for posts held for the emergency moderation,
>> and you are likely going to be able to check the web interface
>> frequently while you are working on it.
>
> I see.  That makes sense for the typical high-volume "emergency" such
> as a spam attack or flame war.
>
> In my case the "emergency" on this very low-volume list was that one
> cousin had requested other cousins' personal data to help arrange an
> aunt's bequests, and the list's reply_goes_to_list setting was
> creating a risk of the requested private info being accidentally sent
> to too many recipients.  I could have turned off reply_goes_to_list
> but most subscribers were used to the old setting.
>
> Thanks, I guess my technical questions have been answered (apart from
> the probably unanswerable matter of how to get Plesk to accept a
> recent version of mailman).

Sounds like you don't really have an 'Emergency Moderation' issue but
changing a policy of a (mostly) unmoderated list to a fully moderated list.

One other option if people are just pressing Reply All, is to create a
filter for the Subject of that message, so you can review replies to it.

--
Richard Damon