[Mailman-Users] "Bounce action notification" emails for subscribes/unsubscribes

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 26 00:11:03 EDT 2017

On 10/24/2017 03:53 PM, Terry . wrote:

> Mark, I might pass your generous offer to work with cPanel, on to the webhost (again), to be passed on to cPanel ...

That would be good. Emphasize that I am the person who does all the
upstream maintenance of Mailman 2.1 and that I want to work with them to
resolve this issue.

Of course, the resolution is problematic, because I really think your
workaround is the correct solution.

Here's why.

Notifications to list -owner addresses are sent with envelope from the
site list -bounces address to avoid bounce loops that would occur if
they were sent with envelope from the list -bounces address if the
-owner address is actually bouncing (because it's not deliverable, not
because of sender verify).

In a normal (non-cPanel) installation this will result in the bounce
going to the site list owner which is reasonable.

If we fix cPanel's Exim config to understand that
mailman-bounces at your.domain is really the -bounces address for the site
list, those bounces will go to the site list owner which in the cPanel
case is often the web host who (with a few notable exceptions of which I
am aware) knows nothing about Mailman or your lists.

With your workaround, they go to you and you are in a better position to
deal with undeliverable owner addresses for lists in your domain.