[Mailman-Users] cause of bounces

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 18 17:42:40 EDT 2017

On 10/18/2017 04:26 PM, Grant Taylor via Mailman-Users wrote:
> On 10/18/2017 02:10 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
>
> Do I understand you correctly to mean to create the signature before
> applying transport encoding?
>
>> Only, you can't do that on the MX, it has to be done on the client.
>
> Why can't you do it at the MX?

Because the very first $relayhost may apply transport encoding. You have
to compute the hash before that happens.

>> DKIM is designed to produce false positives. Which means DKIM-based
>> tests will have low specificity
>> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensitivity_and_specificity).
>
> My experience ~> opinion, save for mailing lists, differs.  In fact,
> most of the email that I receive passes DKIM.

That does not contradict what I said. Low specificity means low
probability of detection of "bad stuff". I.e. it doesn't mean much that
most of it passes.

> I don't think DKIM (or SPF or DMARC) have /anything/ to do with spam
> detection.  SPF is for envelope sender authorization.  DKIM is for
> message integrity.  DMARC is for policy and reporting.  None of that has
> anything to do with spam detection / filtering.

Ohkay, so what exactly am I the end user is supposed to need it for?

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin