[Mailman-Users] cause of bounces

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Tue Oct 17 19:38:07 EDT 2017

On Tue, 2017-10-17 at 16:20 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> See my post that I was still typing when this was sent
> <https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2017-October/082621.
> html>.

> 2) It must pass SPF. SPF works on the domain of the SMTP envelope from.
> Thus for SPF to pass, that domain must publish an SPF record specifying
> the IP of the sending server as a permitted sender. Further, for DMARC
> the envelope from (SPF) domain must align with the From: domain. Again,
> in strict mode aligned means equal. In relaxed mode aligned means the
> corresponding organizational domains are equal.

OK, thanks. This is clear, and useful information. fmp.com publishes a
proper SPF record, and with regard to the mail server DMARC mitigation
program I wrote for Courier, the envelope sender is "alias at fmp.com",
which can possibly be adjusted, but which matches "postmaster at fmp.com"
which I'm using for the body From header on munged emails, and on top
of this FMP publishes "a mx ptr ip4:198.58.125.221 mx:linode.fmp.com
-all" for SPF, which grabs just about everything and should be OK.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The first casualty when
FMP Computer Services |         war comes is truth."