[Mailman-Users] cause of bounces

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Oct 17 18:35:03 EDT 2017

On 10/17/2017 04:28 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> Why? If this message doesn't match its signature, then it has been
> altered in transit for sure. If were not signed, like when I post from
> home (because I can't be arsed to set gpg up on winderz), then there's
> no telling if it was or wasn't. One of those things is quite a bit not
> like the other.

If I understand your question correctly....

DKIM is meant to cryptographically prove that a message is unaltered (*).

I think that DKIM is avoiding the possibility that a message could be
incidentally modified in transit, i.e. encoding conversion, thus not
maliciously modified.  As such, DKIM does not penalize for broken
signatures.  Instead, DKIM rewards valid signatures.

I know it's a small nuanced distinction, but it is there.

* ROPEMAKER further complicates this throwing lots of wrenches in the works.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die