[Mailman-Users] cause of bounces

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Oct 11 16:13:30 EDT 2017

On 10/11/2017 03:31 AM, mailbox.org wrote:

> OK, there are three:
> Action to take when anyone posts to the list from a domain with a DMARC Reject/Quarantine Policy.   MUNGE FROM
> Shall the above dmarc_moderation_action apply to messages From: domains with DMARC p=quarantine as well as p=reject  YES?
> Shall the above dmarc_moderation_action apply to messages From: domains with DMARC p=none as well as p=quarantine and p=rejectn  NO??
>

> Have I got the gist of what you both are saying? Are these the agreed upon settings?

Yes.

> Finally, I am understanding (hopefully correctly) that  Yahoo and Hotmail are the trouble makers. And it especially makes trouble for the others (AOL and GMAIL) Good reason to suggest at least my YAHOO and HOTMAIL users switch to another provider.  I found the free and secure provider disroot that offers a large amount of space.  Maybe I will suggest that one.

The "trouble makers" are those freemail providers that publish DMARC
policies of "reject" or "quarantine" These currently include Yahoo and
AOL but not Hotmail or Gmail.

All of those ISPs are part of the chain of events that leads to trouble
because they reject or quarantine mail From: domains that publish DMARC
policies of "reject" or "quarantine" and which fails DMARC validation.

disroot.org seems like a viable freemail provider, but getting people to
switch is problematic. Unless they *need* to post to your list and can't
otherwise do it, they won't switch providers or use an alternate just to
be able to.

In any case, with the recommended settings above, you will have avoided
the problem, so they don't need to switch.