[Mailman-Users] minimum recommended hardware

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Oct 4 21:34:15 EDT 2017

On 10/04/2017 10:38 AM, Jesus Rivas wrote:

> What is the minimum recommended hardware for running and operate Mailman?

A Raspberry Pi

(only slightly facetious ;)

> If i rent a cloud service with this features:
> 8 Core Processor
> Memory: 32 GB
> 60 GB SSD
> Operating System: CentOS7
>
> I have a mailing list of 82000, and we send daily email.
>
> With this i could operate or i need more space in the hard drive?

I'm assuming you're talking about Mailman 2.1 and not Mailman 3. My
first comment is the RHEL/Centos Mailman 2.1 is something between
2.1.15-24.el7 and 2.1.15-24.el7 depending on which specific Centos 7
release you will have.

The current Mailman release is 2.1.24 and 2.1.25 will be released
probably later this month. I.e., the Centos 7 package is 9 or 10
releases old. It's not as bad as it seems because some things from later
releases such as DMARC mitigations have been backported as "bug fixes",
but still, I would recommend installing the latest version from source.

As to your actual question, I think the configuration you describe is
capable of supporting a list with 82,000 members, but see
<https://wiki.list.org/x/4030518>.

Your actual issue will not be whether you can support a list of that
size, but rather whether your MTA and whatever emailing limits might be
placed on you by the cloud host can support 82,000 emails per day (or
more realistically in the fraction of an hour that you expect them to be
sent).

You definitely need to discuss this requirement with any potential cloud
hosting service.