[Mailman-Users] bulk subscribe 7K users

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 2 16:35:31 EDT 2017

On 10/02/2017 02:50 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 10/02/2017 12:22 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
>>> Sep 25 15:53:57 2017 (7782) <mailman.0.1506372716.29657.XXX at XXX> smtp to XXX for 1 recips, completed in 0.081 seconds
>>> Sep 25 15:59:06 2017 (7782) <mailman.2.1506373144.7778.XXX at XXX> smtp to XXX for 1 recips, completed in 0.061 seconds
>
> OK. So the bulk of the mail was delivered to Postfix in a bit over 5
> minutes. That seem quite reasonable. I clearly misunderstood what you
> ment when you said mail was still going out after days.

Mea culpa, but that's why I had to ask here. Before you guys clued me in
on which mailman logs meant what, my best bet was looking at postfix
log. In there, however, you would see the messages deferred and being
retried by postfix. There's message to at least one of these addresses
still being retried (or was, back when I said "mail's still going out"),
but I couldn't tell when it came out of mailman without much backtracking.

> Some of these may be retries of temp fails from Postfix (anything in
> smtp-failure?) and some may be unrelated.

One failure logged in that time, to one of these addresses, and that's
only an invalid address that got past the regexp I used to clean up the
list.

> Yes, it is 'academic' but a deeper understanding of the processes
> involved can't hurt. I'm compulsive (often too much so) about answering
> every outstanding question, even if they are only my own questions.

:) I find I often don't wanna know.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin