[Mailman-Users] bulk subscribe 7K users

tlhackque tlhackque at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 15:54:40 EDT 2017

On 02-Oct-17 15:35, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> Oh, I agree: mailman worked exactly as designed. Whoever designed that
> particular assumed it'll take zero time to process an uploaded list of
> an unknown size, and that did precisely what ass-u-me always does. No
> surprises there, unfortunately.
No, the requirement was that you'd set the timeout on your webserver to
accommodate your environment.

The Mailman folks can't know what that is.  As the site administrator,
you are expected to.

E.g. for Apache, see the TimeOut directive, which is a balance between
preventing denial of service attacks, and letting long operations complete.

But if you want an (apparently) perfect hands-off experience, by all
means outsource to your IT department.  Then they'll be responsible for
the system-level analysis, implementation, and support.

If this is the case, I do not recommend Mailman V3.  Although it does
have an improved design, it still requires administration.  And despite
efforts by the developers, it is not yet as close to turnkey operation
as Mailman V2.1.  I'm sure it will be - eventually.  But it has a long
way to go.  Right now, it is more complex to setup, is missing features,
has no translations, and has more bugs.

From your comments on this thread, Mailman V3 will not (yet) meet your
expectations.