[Mailman-Users] bulk subscribe 7K users

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Oct 1 17:55:24 EDT 2017

On 10/01/2017 02:34 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:

> It's /var/log/mailman/subscribe in this case, thank you, but it shows
>  "new mail at addr, admin mass sub"
> for addrs from a to j up to Sep 25. (I sorted the list before upload and, but those subscribes were lost
> it goes all the way to z.) Postfix log shows welcome e-mails still going
> out as of an hour ago.
>
> So it looks like mailman updates its logs only a little more often then
> it updates its configs.

The log entries were written as Mailman did the subscribes and sent the
welcomes, but those subscriptions were lost when the process aborted
before finishing. No more subscriptions are currently being done.

If welcome messages are still going out, they are queued either in
Postfix or in Mailman's 'virgin' or 'out' queues, but new subscriptions
are not happening since the list membership is still empty.

The queue directories may be in /var/lib/mailman/qfiles/ or
/var/spool/mailman/ or somewhere else depending on what mailman package
you have.

If you find a bunch of queued welcome messages in one of those queues,
you can just remove them. You can view them with Mailman's
bin/show_qfiles. You can also stop mailman and if the messages are
queued in Mailman, Mailman will stop sending them.

The real question is if your installation is so broken that it takes 5
days to send fewer than half of 7000 welcome messages, what's going to
happen when you send a post to a list with 7000 members?