[Mailman-Users] bulk subscribe 7K users

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Sun Oct 1 17:44:04 EDT 2017

On 09/30/2017 05:19 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 09/30/2017 02:31 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
..
> It's in progress as far as you're concerned, but not as far as Mailman
> is concerned. As far as Mailman is concerned, some users were sent
> welcome messages, but no one has been subscribed. End of story.
>> I assume it does save state internally and the process will be resumed
>> if interrupted?
> Wrong. You have to start over. Nothing is saved from the first attempt.
> The process died and the state was restored to the last known good state
> which is before anyone was subscribed.

So anything goes wrong, everybody got the welcome spam but nobody got
subscribed. People who get the welcome messages (up to "j" now) and
click on the unsubscribe link get an error. For another week or so,
judging by what I can work out from the postfix logs -- because there's
no other place to look. I wish I found any of it surprising. Sadly I've
been dealing with software (including my own) for too long for that.
Situation normal, moving along.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin