[Mailman-Users] Removing archived spam

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Sun Nov 12 13:06:29 EST 2017

On 2017-11-11 18:34, Jordan Brown wrote:

> arch(1) dates back to at least SunOS 4.0, ca 1987.  I haven't been able
> to find manual pages before that.
>
> The competitor, "uname -m", dates back at least that far, in the System
> V branch of UNIX - it's in the SVID in 1986.

> So I think the simple answer is that both the Sun/Berkeley fork and the
> AT&T/SysV fork realized the need for a better answer than the "machid"
> commands, and independently invented different answers.

By the time posix committee got to writing the standard about the only
other unix vendors left standing were ibm and sun. So they picked the
big iron way.

Whereas I've never seen an aches box in use in a cs department. It's all
sparks. My guess is cs students playing with linux were shaping it the
sunos way simply because of that. And by then a decade's worth of sunos
shell scripts that called /bin/arch.

(Sun ran a 50% educational discount since I got to write purchase orders
and until they went amd and lost the profit margin.)

Dima