[Mailman-Users] create lists in web interface

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Nov 11 11:48:04 EST 2017

On 11/11/2017 06:26 AM, Mathieu R. wrote:
> I just installed a fonctionnal mailman server.
> with command line interface, everything is ok, but when i try to use the
> web interface to create lists, i run into the following error :
>

> Nov 11 09:21:12 vps81550 postfix/postalias[6036]: fatal: open
> /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db: Permission denied
>
> i tried to add postfix user to list group, but it does not change a thing.
>
> i'm on debian, with postfix

Please see <https://wiki.list.org/x/12812344>

That said, Assuming the Mailman user is 'list' as it normally is in a
Debian package installation, the mode and ownership of
/var/lib/mailman/data should be

drwxrwsr-x 3 root    list

Owner (root in this example) doesn't matter, but group 'list' and SETGID
are important. aliases(.db) should be

-rw-rw-r-- 1 root    list ... aliases
-rw-rw-r-- 1 list    list ... aliases.db

Again the owner of aliases doesn't matter but the owner of aliases.db
and the group of both should be 'list'.

Also, all the wrappers in /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/ should be group
'list' and SETGID.