[Mailman-Users] Message Held for approval -- too verbose

Piet Barber piet at pietbarber.com
Thu May 11 00:15:43 EDT 2017

Hi.
I have a mailing list, and it gets a lot of spam.  The spammers have gotten
very good at getting through my multiple layers of defense, spam assassin,
grey listing, SPF, DKIM, DMARC.  I hate the spammers.  Of all the difficult
things that systems administration handles; it's mail administration I hate
the most.  And I hate it because of spammers. scumbags.

The problem is when the "This message has been held by a moderator for
approval" messages come to me.

My Gmail is labeling those as spam.  They're labeling them as spam because
Mailman is forwarding the entire message to my moderator address (hosted on
Gmail).

I sure can't find any sort of dialog in the archives about how to do this,
and i haven't found an option to do what I want.

What I want:

I want the "there are 2 messages held for approval" type messages from
Mailman not to contain the spam. Don't contain anything in the message at
all, except the sender and maybe the subject. Instead of repeating all of
the spammy content, is there any way to get Mailman to  say something like
"Hey there's a message, go check it out"

The nature of the mailing list must allow for unknown people to contact the
mailing list; sometimes somebody we never heard of has to send mail to the
mailing list.  So a hard-rule white-list won't work.  So don't suggest
that.