[Mailman-Users] fix permissions error?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 9 13:06:00 EDT 2017

On 05/09/2017 08:32 AM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> administrator at web5:/var/lib/mailman/bin$ sudo ./check_perms -f
> /var/lib/mailman/logs bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
> /var/lib/mailman/cron bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
> /var/lib/mailman/cgi-bin bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
> /var/lib/mailman/bin bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
> /var/lib/mailman/scripts bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
> /var/lib/mailman/mail bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
> /var/lib/mailman/Mailman bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
> /var/lib/mailman/icons bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
> /var/lib/mailman/templates bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
> /var/lib/mailman/locks bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
> Problems found: 10
> Re-run as list (or root) with -f flag to fix
>
> after several iterations I still don't see what to do. Doesn't seem to
> be really fixing anything. Also what list??

I'm guessing that this is a Debian/Ubuntu package. If you look you'ss
find all those paths are in fact symlinks to other directories and the
group and permissions on the actual directory are fine. check_perms
can't actually change the symlink group and it's not relevant anyway.

the 'list' in 'Re-run as list (or root) with -f flag to fix' refers to
the user 'list' which is the Debian/Ubuntu Mailman user, not to a
Mailman list.

In any case, do you have a problem other than the spurious report from
check_perms?