[Mailman-Users] Mailman brokenly base64-encoding all messages

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 30 21:20:08 EDT 2017

On 03/30/2017 04:32 PM, Jon Ribbens wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 10:22:08AM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Sorry, I forgot. Debian's package ignores any charset argument you put
>> in add_language.
>>
>> You need to put
>>
>> LC_DESCRIPTIONS['en'] = ('English (USA)', 'us-ascii', 'ltr')
>>
>> in mm_cfg.py. I think that will work.
>
> Awesome, that does indeed appear to work perfectly. Thank you.
> Shouldn't this be a FAQ? I looked there first but couldn't find
> anything relevant.

I'll think about a FAQ. This whole Debian/Ubuntu utf-8 encoding issue
has been a pain from the beginning for those of us (me) who've had to
pick up the pieces after things broke.

See for example the comment thread at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1462755> and the archived
thread linked from comment #6.

Also, if you're interested, see the first paragraph at
<https://wiki.list.org/> about obtaining write access to the wiki if
you'd like to write something.