[Mailman-Users] Any way to disable bounce subscription disabling for just certain users?

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Thu Mar 30 18:30:42 EDT 2017

Hi,

I have a weird situation I'm sure others have had, and I'm wondering if
there's any way in Mailman 2 to deal with it. I have three subscribers
to one of my lists who are on ISP's who do spam filtering at the SMTP
level, rejecting with a 554 any message they don't like. And as so often
happens, their definition of spam and our definition of spam can
sometimes be totally different. I'm assuming here that the particular
subscribers probably have no way to turn off this spam filtering.

I have my bounce score threshold set to 2.9 so whenever someone bounces
three days within a week, they get disabled. What ends up happening is
that I have to go in and re-enable their subscriptions. Normally I could
just do a reset_bounce on that list, but I also have someone whose
mailbox is full, and I want to keep them disabled, hoping they'll clean
it up, get a mail is bouncing message, and come back. I've tried
contacting these subscribers, asking if they have another Email address
they could use, but have had no response.

Is there any way to disable the automatic disabling of just specific
member addresses? If I could find a way to do it, would setting their
bounce score to something like negative 1,000,000,000 do the trick, or
would Mailman just consider that the same as 0 and set it to 1 the next day?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jayson