[Mailman-Users] Mailman brokenly base64-encoding all messages

Jon Ribbens jon+mailman at unequivocal.eu
Thu Mar 30 11:58:01 EDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 08:35:54AM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> I believe that RFC 2045 s6.8 refers back to canonical form as discussed
> in sections 6.5 and 6.6 and RFC 2049 sec 4. While it is arguable that
> this requires all plain text to use CRLF line delimiters regardless of
> encoding, I think common practice is to use CRLF only "on the wire" and
> not in base64 or quoted-printable encodings.

RFC 2045 s6.8 explicitly says that text line breaks "must" be
converted to CRLF before base64 encoding, and that this is regardless
of whether it's canonical form or not.

> If it is a bug, it is in the Python email library, not Mailman.

OK I'll look into reporting it on the Python bug tracker.

> To change the former, you can put
>
> add_language('en', 'English (USA)', 'us-ascii')
>
> in mm_cfg.py.

I've done this (in /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py) and then done
systemctl restart mailman and it's made no difference.
Is there anything else I need to do also?

(I'm testing it by getting it to reply to a 'help' request.)