[Mailman-Users] Web interface stopped working after ubuntu update

Richard Shetron guest2 at sgeinc.com
Thu Mar 30 10:43:15 EDT 2017

I had this problem during a ubuntu update.  IIRC:  I discovered that the
update changed the user/group id's of mailman from mailman:www-data to
list:list (or something like that) as it did a mailman update that
messed up the id's.  It has been too long to remember the exact details.
  The default ubuntu mailman install uses different permissions from a
regular mailman install from the mailman tarball.  I may have removed
and then reinstalled mailman from the tarball/source.  The ubuntu
mailman package was pretty old, IIRC.

I remember systemd and apparmor breaking a running system and spending
weeks fixing everything that was broken.  It broke enough stuff and
caused enough problems that ubuntu has convinced me to find another *nix
distribution or even switch to bsd to get away from the disaster that is
systemd.