[Mailman-Users] What’s up: Sitelist is missing: mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 24 15:11:26 EDT 2017

On 03/24/2017 09:10 AM, Dominik Hoffmann wrote:
> My error log shows entries like this
>
> Mar 22 16:52:28 2017 mailmanctl(175): Site list is missing: mailman
> Mar 22 16:52:28 2017 (175) Site list is missing: mailman

> The question I have for you guys are
>
> 1. How might this have happened?

The list got deleted. I have no clue as to how. Exactly when did these
messages start appearing in the error log? What other messages are
logged in various logs at times between the previous Mailman (re)start
and then?

> 2. What is the purpose of the mailman list.

It is a long standing requirement of Mailman 2.1. Its address is exposed
as a help/info address on the web admin and listinfo overview pages. Its
-request address is the From: address in password reminders and it's
-bounces address is the bounce address of last resort.

It goes away (along with password reminders) in MM 3.