[Mailman-Users] disappearing subscriber

Christian F Buser luscheina at yahoo.de
Wed Mar 8 05:14:40 EST 2017

Hello Christina Endemann. On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 09:59:22 +0000, you wrote:

> one of our subscribers was "somehow" taken off the mailing list.
>
> a)      He was certainly on the list until a while ago (by chance I
> had a list of subscriptions from two/three weeks ago)
>
> b)      I did not unsubscribe him (to my knowledge), and also I don't
> have an unsubscribe message

He could have been unsubscribed automagically due to too many bounced messages to his address.

> c)       After subscribing that person again, he appeared in the
> members list again, but the strange thing is that his name field is
> filled in, which I certainly did not fill this time.

Is this a cPanel installation? I had a mail (not list) user whose address was suspended (no incoming mail, no login) and afterwards deleted. After some time, the address was re-created and it showed up with the last status of that address (suspended) just after re-creation. This behaviour might also apply to lists, but it is just an assumption - not knowledge.

> So it looks a bit as if that person had been deactivated / reactivated.
> Can someone shed some light on this?  We have to ensure that people
> reliably get the messages.

If he was taken off the list due to bounces - why should Mailman send a message to an address which does not accept mails?

Christian
--
Christian F. Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
Hilfe fuer Strassenkinder in Ghana: http://www.chance-for-children.org