[Mailman-Users] Mailman 3 confusion

Mark Lindsay mark at nervous.org
Tue Jun 20 10:52:49 EDT 2017

Hi Larry,

Does that mean _at_least_ 2.7, or does it mean I need two different
> versions of Python on the same box, or does it mean I need two boxes?

The `virtualenv` tool will solve this problem for you. From
http://python-guide-pt-br.readthedocs.io/en/latest/dev/virtualenvs/ :

> A Virtual Environment is a tool to keep the dependencies required by
> different projects in separate places, by creating virtual Python
> environments for them. It solves the “Project X depends on version 1.x but,
> Project Y needs 4.x” dilemma, and keeps your global site-packages directory
> clean and manageable.

It allows you to have application-specific versions of the python
interpreter and python packages on the same machine. The global (server
default) version of python will no longer be relevant.

`virtualenv -p python3` will give you python 3 for Mailman 3 Core.
`virtualenv` will give you python 2 for the other apps.

Mark