[Mailman-Users] Mailman 3 confusion

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jun 19 21:53:37 EDT 2017

On 06/19/2017 08:01 AM, Rosenbaum, Larry M. wrote:
>> From: Mailman-Users [mailto:mailman-users-
>> bounces+rosenbaumlm=ornl.gov at python.org] On Behalf Of Mark Sapiro
>>
>> At the moment it actually says "The backend requires Python 3.4 or newer
>> while the frontend requires Python 2.7"
>>
>> What that means is the Mailman core (mailman) and and the Mailman -
>> HyperKitty plugin (mailman-hyperkitty) require Python 3 (3.4, 3.5 and
>> 3.6 are supported).
>>
>> Postorius (postorius), HyperKitty (mailman-hyperkitty) and therefore the
>> supporting project modules they import, mailmanclient and
>> django-mailman3 all require Python 2.7.
>
> Does that mean _at_least_ 2.7, or does it mean I need two different versions of Python on the same box, or does it mean I need two boxes?

It means Postorius (postorius), HyperKitty (mailman-hyperkitty) and
therefore the supporting project modules they import, mailmanclient and
django-mailman3 all require Python 2.7. Not 'at least' Python 2.7, but
some 2.7.x.

Python 2.7 and Python 3 are significantly different. Programs can be
bilingual, but not all of Postorius, HyperKitty and their dependencies
are fully Python 3 compatible yet.

This means you need Python 3.4 or later for Mailman core and Python
2.7.x for Postorius and HyperKitty. These are quite capable of
coexisting on the same box and that is probably what you want, but it is
possible to run Postorius and HyperKitty on a separate box, but there
are potential security issues involved in exposing the core's REST
interface beyond 'localhost'.