[Mailman-Users] Can a list owner address be allowed to post to their own list?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jun 15 18:54:14 EDT 2017

On 06/15/2017 02:54 AM, Jayson Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm in the design stages of creating a script for my own use. This
> script will send a predetermined Email to a predetermined mailing list.
> I want it to be set up so anyone receiving this message can just hit
> Reply and reach the list owner address, listname-owner at domain.

On the admin General Options page set reply_goes_to_list to Explicit
address and reply_to_address to listname-owner at domain. You may or may
not want to also set first_strip_reply_to to Yes to avoid replying to
the original poster's address.

I may not understand your desire. The above will cause 'reply' to any
post to go to listname-owner at domain. If you only want replies to this
specific script-generated post to go to listname-owner at domain, you have
other choices.

> Is there
> any problem with subscribing that address to the list in question, as
> long as it's set to Nomail?

No, there is no problem and you don't have to set it to nomail unless
you don't want it to receive list posts. In other words, it won't cause
any issue other than receiving possibly unwanted list posts if it is not
set to nomail.

> Or is there an easy way to tell a list to
> accept all mail from a certain address, even though it's not subscribed
> to the list?

Yes. Add the address to Privacy options ... -> Sender filters ->
accept_these_nonmembers.