[Mailman-Users] Trouble with "Reply-to:"

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jun 15 12:27:58 EDT 2017

On 06/15/2017 04:36 AM, Frank Elsner wrote:

> running mailman-2.1.12-26.el6.x86_64 under Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.9
> we have trouble with the "Reply-To:" header settings.
>
> The list config contains
>
> first_strip_reply_to = 1
> reply_goes_to_list = 2
> reply_to_address = 'redacted at mailbox.tu-berlin.de'
>
> but mails going though the list have no "Reply-To:" line in header.

Please see <https://wiki.list.org/x/12812344>. Then contact RedHat about
what appears to be a bug in their mailman-2.1.12-26.el6.x86_64 package.

> What might be the cause? What overlooked? Where to look?

I suppose it's possible that Mailman is adding the Reply-To: and the
outgoing MTA is removing it, but in any of our Mailman 2.1 distributions
since 2.1.1 the above settings will result in

being added to the outgoing message.

You could look at your Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py in the section
that begins with the comment

to see it it looks correct. In particular, this

        # List admin wants an explicit Reply-To: added
        if mlist.reply_goes_to_list == 2:
            add(parseaddr(mlist.reply_to_address))

is what puts reply_to_address in the Reply-To: header in the outgoing
message.