[Mailman-Users] Mailman-2.1.23 and reCAPTCHA

sp2l sp2l at sp2l.ampr.org
Mon Jun 5 13:43:00 EDT 2017

-----Original message -----
From: Mark Sapiro
Sent: Sunday, June 4, 2017 1:04 AM
To: mailman-users at python.org
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Mailman-2.1.23 and reCAPTCHA

The patch you installed requires the installation of recaptcha-client
<https://pypi.python.org/pypi/recaptcha-client/>.

This is not recaptcha <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/recaptcha/1.0rc1>.

sudo pip install recaptcha-client

should do it.

Hello Mark.

Thank you for your suggestion,
but apparently this was not the case...

When I ran "pip install recaptcha-client"
I got the following message:

   root at linux:# pip install recaptcha-client
   Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade):
recaptcha-client in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
   Cleaning up...
   root at linux:#

So, it appears that installing python-recaptcha,
module recaptcha-client got installed too.

Therefore I startet to look at issue from a different point of view.

The error message was:
   admin(4038):    from recaptcha.client import captcha
   admin(4038):    ImportError: No module named recaptcha.client

Looking at the directory tree I noticed the following chain:
/usr / share / pyshared / recaptcha / client

There _IS NEITHER_  recaptcha.client
_NOR_  recaptcha-client  directory.

In patch supplied by this article:
   https://www.dragonsreach.it/2014/05/03/adding-recaptcha-support-to-mailman/

there are twice two lines:

   sys.path.append("/usr/share/pyshared")
   from recaptcha.client import captcha

Changed them to read:

   sys.path.append("/usr/share/pyshared/recaptcha")
   from client import captcha

This way achieved success to have at least
properly displayed and working recaptcha box.

Please navigate to one of test lists to see above:

After filling the form, satisfying recaptcha requirements
then clicking "Subscribe" I received another error message
in web browser window:

   Bug in Mailman version 2.1.23

   We're sorry, we hit a bug!

   Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem.
   Printing of traceback and other system information has been explicitly
inhibited,
   but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs.

Checked mailman error log file and noticed the following:

   Jun 05 20:20:03 2017 admin(23429): @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@.
   admin(23429): [----- Mailman Version: 2.1.23 -----].
   admin(23429): [----- Traceback ------].
   admin(23429): Traceback (most recent call last):
   admin(23429):   File "/usr/local/mailman/scripts/driver", line 102, in
run_main
   admin(23429):     pkg = __import__('Mailman.Cgi', globals(), locals(),
[scriptname])
   admin(23429):   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py", line
149
   admin(23429):     if email == mlist.GetListEmail():
   admin(23429):                                                       ^
   admin(23429): IndentationError: unindent does not match any outer
indentation level

At this point I am simply stucked...
All suggestions, advices are very welcomed.

BTW, should recaptcha box be positioned
at the bottom of browser window?

Best regards.
Tom - SP2L