[Mailman-Users] Correcting the URLs in mailman's automated emails

Richard Richard at KarmannGhia.org
Wed Jul 12 12:58:02 EDT 2017

Some clarification below:

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017, Richard wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> this has been a problem since forever, but for the, oh, 12 to 15 years I've
> been using mailman, heretofore I've had list members who were competent
> enough to tell them, "where you see this system name, replace it with this
> other one and it works fine." Now, that's not the case with a new group of
> list users. (And yes, I've tried in the past to fix this, but never found a
> solution and it wasn't all that vital.)
>
> My scenario is simple enough; the mail server that runs mailman is on an
> internal, private network behind a firewall and has no direct external
> access. Mail gets through via a firewall / gateway machine, and web access to
> the web interface is done via "pipermail" interface through the web server.
> It all works except that the automated emails sent for things like bounces,
> initial welcome, password reminders and things like that ALWAYS have the
> internal system name for the URLs instead of the external one.
>
> I've tried to figure out how to modify the templates to get it to work
> correctly, all to many wasted hours of frustration, and of course I've tried
> to look it up online. I can't find any information about what substutitions
> are available within the various templates, though I found a conversation
> where someone some 12 to 15 years ago said it was on their to-do list. I've
> been tempted to just hard-code, but there are several problems with that,
> such as that there are different list names that have to get inserted, or
> different usernames. And even if I could hard-code the system name / domain
> name part, I'd prefer to have the URL be unique for the particular community
> the list is serving - simply because having to explain a different domain
> name is just more wasted time. Plus, it would be easier to remember for
> people - what's that link for? OH, I remember!
>
> Any help GRATEFULLY appreciated.
>
> FWIW, I'm running mailman-2.1.18.1-3.fc21.x86_64 which I think is the
> youngest version available for FC21.
>

> Thanks,

OF COURSE, I've found section 4.29 of the FAQ (which can be found here:
https://wiki.list.org/DOC/4.29%20Where%20can%20I%20change%20a%20list%20or%20the%20default%20URL%20used%20for%20the%20web%20interface%3F
)
...The problem is I don't understand it. In particular:

"and some more add_virtualhost(URL_FQDN, EMAIL_FQDN) if you are using
virtual hosts."

Am I supposed to just add in all my virtual hosts here like this, and, if
so, how on earth is the correct one distinguished per list?

Thanks,