[Mailman-Users] Create mailman archive from the gz files downloaded from the archive web page?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 25 19:23:44 EST 2017

On 01/25/2017 08:11 AM, Adam Goldberg wrote:
> Is there an easy (well, automated) way to import the .txt.gz files that are downloadable from a list's archive?  I've done a bit of searching, and it seems that all assume that the filesystem is available (to just copy archives over).

I am not sure what you are ultimately wanting to do, but you don't want
the periodic .txt or .txt.gz files. The file you want is the cumulative
archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file which contains
unscrubbed (at least if the list's scrub_nondigest is No) messages with
complete headers, not scrubbed messages with only selected headers.

Any list member can download this via the web.

If the site has set

PUBLIC_MBOX = Yes

There will be a link to "download the full raw archive" on the lists
archive contents page.

If not you can still get it via a private archive url of the form
http://example.com/mailman/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox where
listname is the actual list name, and yes, it appears twice. This does
require authentication as a list member or admin/moderator, even if the
archives are public, and may require using something like curl or wget
if the archive is large to avoid browser time outs.

Once you have the mbox, you use bin/arch to import it into another
Mailman instance. There is no "web" way to do that.