[Mailman-Users] Recent trouble with DMARC Munging

Scott Neader scott at qth.com
Mon Jan 16 22:29:02 EST 2017

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 01/15/2017 08:58 PM, Scott Neader wrote:
> > When yahoo.com or AOL.com users post to our
> > lists, the Munging is not working.  When I query for a DMARC record from
> > the mail server, it can see the record, so I think it's not a resolver
> > issue.
> >
> > I'm really stumped... any pointers/ideas on where to look would be
> greatly
> > appreciated!
>
> It seems you have access to the Mailman server, so look in Mailman's
> error log. If you see messages like
>
> DNS lookup for dmarc_moderation_action for list <listname> not available
>
> it means at the time Mailman was last (re)started, the import of
> dns.resolver failed. This is unlikely as it had been working.

Nice catch!  Sure enough, the log is flooded with lines like...

Jan 16 15:25:19 2017 (78452) DNS lookup for dmarc_moderation_action for
list REDACTED not available

Note that if you are seeing the

> DNS lookup for dmarc_moderation_action for list <listname> not available
>
> messages, restarting Mailman may fix it.

Tried a restart, then a test, but no changes.

> Also, in this case try
>
> python -c "import dns.resolver"
>
> to see if it reports any error.

Yes... not good results:

# python -c "import dns.resolver"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named dns.resolver

I've got some digging to do... but if you have any other ideas at this
point, I'll take them!  Thank you!

- Scott