[Mailman-Users] Recent trouble with DMARC Munging

Brian Carpenter brian at emwd.com
Mon Jan 16 15:05:15 EST 2017

> I'm using Mailman version 2.1.23.  Since late 2014, I've been successfully
> using the "Munge From" option under Privacy Options > Sender filters >
> "Action to take when anyone posts to the list from a domain with a DMARC
> Reject/Quarantine Policy."  Mail from users using AOL, Yahoo and others
> with a DMARC policy of quarantine or reject had the FROM field munged:
>
> FROM: John Doe <someuser at yahoo.com>
>
> becomes
>
> FROM: John Doe via Listname <listname at ourdomain.com>
>
> Again, this has been working GREAT for over two years.  Now, mysteriously,
> this has stopped working. When yahoo.com or AOL.com users post to our
> lists, the Munging is not working.  When I query for a DMARC record from
> the mail server, it can see the record, so I think it's not a resolver
> issue.
>
> I'm really stumped... any pointers/ideas on where to look would be greatly
> appreciated!
>
> - Scott

I would also be interested if anyone has any answers or suggestions to this
as we have seen the same issue on our mailman servers. Enabling the DMARC
option on the general options page seems to fix it however but I am not sure
in why this has suddenly become a problem with just using the privacy
options -- sender filters settings.

Brian Carpenter
EMWD.com, Owner

Providing Cloud Services and Mailman hosting for over 15 years.

T: 336.755.0685
E: brian at emwd.com
www.emwd.com