[Mailman-Users] from_is_list Wrap Message: what does that look like?

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 17:42:44 EST 2017

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> Yes, that's the dilemma. Note that from_is_list does not have a 'reject'
> option.

Right, thanks. I was misremembering from when I looked at this last month.

> For most lists, dmarc_moderation_action = Munge From turns out to be the
> best (or least harmful/disruptive) choice.

> The big negative of Munge From is the message's From: header no longer
> contains the address of the author of the message so the message is no
> longer strictly compliant with RFCs 822, 2822 and 5322.

Isn't it also an issue that the message doesn't say who it's from,
potentially, or how to contact the sender? My biggest list has a lot of job
postings, conference announcements, etc.--things where you don't
necessarily mention yourself in what you send in (even if you may include
other contact info). In that case won't we risk confusing all the readers
of the list? It'll look like the list itself (or rather its sponsoring
organization) is promoting the job announcement.

Or, I would guess on any list, someone will often say "contact me for more
info" with the assumption that their email address is up above. Am I
misunderstanding Munge From?

> List subscribers with iThings do not like Wrap Message. At least some
> other mobile clients also have issues with this format.

Thanks, that's really good to know.