[Mailman-Users] How to enable these hashed mailing list archive links? [mailman-rss issue]

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jan 3 16:07:44 EST 2017

On 01/03/2017 11:03 AM, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
> Mark Sapiro:
>>
>> What mailman-rss patch? From where?
>
> Not a patch. Standalone script from here:
>
> https://github.com/pteichman/mailman-rss

I looked briefly at that script and I would have issues if I tried to
use it. Most importantly, it uses the periodic *.txt(.gz) files, which
it finds by screen scraping, as the source and intentionally changes
.txt to .txt.gz which is just backwards as in a standard Mailman
installation, the .txt file will always exist and the .txt.gz file may
be out of date or not exist depending on when cron/nightly-gzip was last
run.

The script also makes those .../message-id URLs, presumably because of
it's using data from the .txt.gz file which doesn't have information
about the actual nnnnnn.html filename.

Anyway, this is a third party script and any questions or issues should
be directed to its author.

To address your question in the subject, each nnnnnn.html file in the
archive has two occurrences of a mailto: link which contains an
In-Reply-To= fragment with the Message-ID (url-encoded) of the message.

So it would be possible to create a script to go through the archive and
for each archives/private/LIST/yyyy-Month/nnnnnn.html, find the
message-id and create a symlink from archives/private/LIST/message-id to
archives/private/LIST/yyyy-Month/nnnnnn.html. This script would need to
run often, although, the existing mailman-rss script will only see
changes when cron/nightly-gzip runs.