[Mailman-Users] How to track down Digest spam reporter

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 16 22:47:34 EST 2017

On 02/16/2017 06:37 PM, Scott Neader wrote:

> Normally we can turn on "Personalization" and add the subscriber's email
> address to the footer... but this can't be done for Digests. Any other
> ideas on how we can track down this spam reporter and get them off the
> list, short of moving every Hotmail user off the digests?

Set VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1 in mm_cfg.py. This will cause Mailman to
send all messages with envelope from
listname-bounces+user=example.com at list.domain where user at example.com is
the user sent to. That address will also be in Sender: and Errors-To:
headers.

>  And, as a side
> question, I'm curious about the technical reasons why Personalization can't
> be available for Digests.

There are differences in how digest_header and digest_footer are added
to messages as opposed to how msg_header and msg_footer are added. In
particular, digest_header and digest_footer are added while the message
is being created and the digest_header is not the first thing in the
message. It comes between the masthead and the table of contents.
Footers are added at the end, but in plain digests, the footer is added
as if it is another message with Subject: Digest Footer for RFC 1153
compliance and in MIME digests both the header and footer are added as
separate MIME parts with Content-Description: Digest Header and Digest
Footer respectively.

All this says that the process used to add msg_header and msg_footer
during delivery when recipients are known doesn't work for digests.