[Mailman-Users] Problem with AOL

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 14 17:30:47 EST 2017

On 02/14/2017 07:40 AM, David Andrews wrote:

> Well I will have to investigate further and see if that is the problem.
> You said "some time ago," and it is recent with me, which means it could
> be something else, or not.

True, but you should be able to tell from mail logs or Mailman's bounce
log. I.e., when an AOL user posts, does only the delivery to that AOL
user bounce or does delivery to all AOL users bounce.

The former was my case.

> Have you written, or is there a script to go
> through all lists and change attribute, and/or would it work to send
> them post acknowledgement? With 300 lists and over 12,000 users I can't
> really do it by hand.

Here's a withlist script. Save it in Mailman's bin/ directory as
aol_notmetoo.py

------------------------------- cut here -------------------------------
from Mailman import mm_cfg

def aol_notmetoo(mlist):
    if not mlist.Locked():
        mlist.Lock()
    for member in mlist.getMembers():
        if member.lower().endswith('@aol.com'):
            mlist.setMemberOption(
                member, mm_cfg.DontReceiveOwnPosts, 1)
            # If you don't want to set 'ack' remove the next two lines
            mlist.setMemberOption(
                member, mm_cfg.AcknowledgePosts, 1)
    mlist.Save()
    mlist.Unlock()