[Mailman-Users] Replying to the List

Chip Davis chip at aresti.com
Thu Dec 7 21:19:19 EST 2017

On 12/7/2017 2:29 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 12/07/2017 09:15 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>
>> Short version for free:  Edit /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py and add the
>> following line anywhere AFTER 'from Defaults import *':
>>
>> DEFAULT_REPLY_GOES_TO_LIST = 1
>

> It is not necessary and probably not effective in this case to edit
> mm_cfg.py. That only sets the default for new lists.
>
> What is wanted in this case is the settings on the web admin UI General
> Options page under Reply-To: header munging. In particular:
>
> Where are replies to list messages directed? Poster is strongly
> recommended for most mailing lists.
> (Details for reply_goes_to_list)

And I have no problem with that (except that editorial advice probably
doesn't belong on a settings page) because it refers to a "mailing
list".  I have no statistics, but my exposure to Mailman has been
almost exclusively as a "discussion list".  Therefore, all of the
Mailman instances that I admin ignore this "strong recommendation" and
set 'reply_goes_to_list' to 'This list'.  Yes, that does open the
DMARC/DKIM can-o-worms, but just about everything useful does... :-/

Perhaps it would be useful to new Mailman admins if there were some
sort of Quick Start Tutorial that covered appropriate initial settings
for using Mailman as a:
  - Mailing List
  - Discussion List
  - Suggestion Box