[Mailman-Users] Distributed mass subscribe attack?

David Gibbs david at midrange.com
Tue Aug 8 13:22:01 EDT 2017

Folks:

Anyone else noticing a distributed mass subscribe attack going on their lists?

I've noticed a massive number of attempts a small subset of email addresses, with modifiers (address+modifier at example.com), going on.

It appears the address is valid ... so it appears to be some kind of hit job to flood someone's inbox.

Luckily the address's are trivial to block using 'ban_list'.

The hosts they are using appear to be from all over the place, although they do seem to be favoring hosts serviced by virtua.com.br.

david

--
IBM i on Power Systems: For when you can't afford to be out of business!

I'm riding a metric century (100 km / 65 miles) in the American Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure to raise money for diabetes research, education, advocacy, and awareness.  You can make a tax deductible donation to my ride by visiting http://gmane.diabetessucks.net.  My goal is $6000 but any amount is appreciated.

You can see where my donations come from by visiting my interactive donation map ... http://gmane.diabetessucks.net/map (it's a geeky thing).

I may have diabetes, but diabetes doesn't have me!