[Mailman-Users] Customize "From" when munging it for DMARC?

Jordan Brown mailman at jordan.maileater.net
Fri Aug 4 13:15:19 EDT 2017

On 8/4/2017 8:24 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 08/03/2017 07:15 PM, Jordan Brown wrote:
>> Is there a way to control the From value when it gets munged so we pass
>> DMARC?
> There's no configuration for it, but it's a simple patch.

Thanks.  Alas, I'm a hosting-provider customer, not standalone, and so
don't have access to make source changes.  Maybe it can go on the wish list?

> I suspect that this would cause other issues. In spite of the fact that
> there will always be a Reply-To: header with some value, there will be
> some user's MUAs that will include the From: address in a 'reply' or
> 'reply-all'. This may or may not be a problem depending on the exact
> content of the reply, the setting of DISCARD_MESSAGE_WITH_NO_COMMAND
> (defaults to Yes), and whether the MUA addresses the reply to the
> desired addresses in addition to From:.

It seems like that could be controlled through the choice of the address
used.  Although the -request address seems obvious, one could also use
the -owner address, or an address that bounces or leads into a black
hole.  Let the admin specify the address to use.