[Mailman-Users] Getting implicit destinattion even though To: field is correct

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Apr 22 13:39:24 EDT 2017

At Sat, 22 Apr 2017 10:23:59 -0700 Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 04/21/2017 12:15 PM, Aaron Smith wrote:
> > ... However, if I send a message to
> > testlist at mail01.example.com, it
> > is moderated for implicit destination.  Every single time.  And I
> > KNOW that the To: field has the correct email address because I'm
> > typing it in myself during a telnet session to port 25!  What am I
> > missing here?
>

> The addresses in any To:, Cc:, Resent-To: or Resent-Cc: headers are
> lower cased and if the local part of any of these matches the list's
> internal name (which should be the lower case list name, i.e. the list's
> real_name attribute lower cased), you should not get an implicit
> destination hold.
>
> I.e., if the list's internal name it 'testlist' and the To: header
> contains the address testlist at ... in any combination of upper/lower
> case, the message should not be held for implicit destination.
>
> When the message is held for implicit destination, look at the Message
> Headers: in the held message view in the list's admindb interface. Do
> they have the To: header you expect?

Since the OP is using a "telnet session to port 25" I wonder if he is
confusing an *envelope header" with a message header.

If in the "telnet session to port 25" he is typing:

RCPT To testlist at mail01.example.com

And *failing* to include in the DATA section a line like:

To: testlist at mail01.example.com

Even though the RCPT To is correct, *mailman* still needs the
"To: testlist at mail01.example.com" *in the message itself* (in the header in
the DATA part).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933