[Mailman-Users] forwarding email to a mailman list

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sat Apr 22 11:26:13 EDT 2017

Mark T writes:

 > Hi can anyone tell me how do I use a forwarding
 > Email  address on a members only mailing list
 > to my email list

This is definitely a list managed by Mailman?

 > Only tried to do this and just keeps saying moderated

What reason does it give for moderating the message?

Do you mean the original moderated message, or new ones?  Mailman does
not check the moderation queue and apply the new configuration to it.
Once a message is held for moderation, a moderator must explicitly
release it.  The new permission applies only to messages received
after the new subscription is activated.

 > Have added the email to the list of members

Have you checked your mail for a verification mail?  Most lists are
configured to send mail to a newly subscribed address with a "one-time
URL" registered to that address.  When you visit that URL, the mailing
list assumes you have access to that mail account, and activates the
subscription.

Also, some lists are configured to require moderator approval before
activating new subscriptions.

Evenif you are the list administrator, although you can bypass these
verification steps, it's theoretically possible that you didn't, and
the subscription is not yet active.

 > And when I send a email  to the list just keeps saying the same message

If you have verified as above (or the list is configured to bypass
them), check to make sure that you used exactly the same email.  For
example, the list cannot tell that "mailbox at mail.example.com" and
"mailbox at example.com" are the "same" address, even though they usually
deliver to the same place, and a human would assume so.  Also, check
for typos.

If none of the above applies, we definitely need to know what the
reason given in the error message from the list is.

HTH,

Steve