[Mailman-Users] unbanning a member?

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Tue Sep 27 22:10:30 EDT 2016

I'm going to assume you meant to post to the list, and send there
myself.  For security reasons, Mailman lists do not munge reply-to.
Frequently messages contain private information (IP addresses, domain
names, email addresses, and even passwords) that the sender would not
want broadcasted to a publicly archived list.

Adam Morris writes:
 > I'm referring to someone who I have banned from subscribing to a mailing
 > list.
 >
 > If I try and subscribe the banned address I get a message saying member
 > is banned.

How do you try to subscribe that address?  By web or by mail?

In the admin page Privacy Options, there is a ban_list option near the
bottom of the page (this is version 2.1.21, I believe yours was older
so there may be variations).  AFAIK that is the only way to ban an
address from subscribing in "stock" Mailman.

Make sure that the member is not in that list.  I believe you reported
that you have cleared out that list already, in which case it's
possible that you didn't click the Submit button at the bottom of the
page, and it's still there.  I guess it's barely possible that you
cleared the ban_list for a different list than the one you're trying
to subscribe that address to.

If the web interface reports an empty ban list and you attempted to
subscribe by mail, it's possible that there are two Mailman
installations, one handling mail, and the other web (and this one has
no effect on actual list operation).  Multiple installations can arise
for a number of reasons such as an incomplete upgrade where either the
mailserver or the webserver was not properly configured.

Otherwise, I don't know what's going on.  Perhaps Mark has an idea.

Regards,