[Mailman-Users] Name or address showing in cc header?

Clare Redstone clare at catspaw.plus.com
Wed Sep 21 12:26:20 EDT 2016

I administer a Mailman discussion group and don't understand what's showing
up in the CC box of messages in the group. One member is concerned as her
messages display her email address in the CC box. For most of us, our name
is displayed in the CC box. (In Outlook I can right-click on that and it
shows the sender's email address but I don't think she realised our
addresses are accessible, just not so obvious.)

Why are her messages behaving differently in this way and how can I change
it?

I wondered whether it was to do with whether members had registered with
both their names and email addresses. But when I looked in membership
management, some people have a name showing in the box below their email
address & others don't. Whether or not their messages display name or
address doesn't seem related to this setting.

I don't understand all the list settings fully so not sure which might be
relevant to working out what's going on, so here are a few settings I
thought might be relevant. To keep discussion in the group instead of
branching out privately, replies go to the group, not to the sender. And
group discussion can become confusing if the senders aren't identified.

"Replace the From: header address with the list's posting address to
mitigate issues stemming from the original From: domain's DMARC or similar
policies.." Setting: Munge From

"Hide the sender of a message, replacing it with the list address." Setting:
No

"Should any existing Reply-To: header found in the original message be
stripped?..." Setting: Yes

"Where are replies to list messages directed?..." Setting: This list

Any ideas what's going on and how to stop this member's address displaying
openly?

Thanks.

Clare