[Mailman-Users] Wrong "From" in header, Why?

Gao gao at pztop.com
Tue Sep 20 15:42:33 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-20 11:48 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Since I can think of no way that Mailman would rewrite these headers and
> even if it did, I would think the two headers would have the same
> display name, I have to think the somehow Trent's MUA
> (Thunderbird/45.2.0) is responsible. I can't say how this happened, but
> I think the message arrived with those headers, and even if they were
> somehow changed in your server, there are other, more likely suspects
> than Mailman.
I thought this too but Trent can't re-produce this issue through the
same Thunderbird while I watched him made the 2nd reply to list. So I
ruled out Thunderbird.
>  From your mail log, I see the message arrives with ID 36FFF20158EC6, is
> scanned by MailScanner, requeued with ID 3603320158ECB and '(delivered
> via autoresponder service)'. Then a message is received, presumably from
> the autoresponder service, with ID EB63E20158EC6, scanned by
> MailScanner, requeued with ID BE0D320158ECB and delivered to Mailman.
>
> I.e., the message has been through MailScanner twice and "autoresponder
> service" before it ever gets to Mailman.
autoresponse is a perl script which postfix pipe in to handle vacation
replies. I know it is not a perfect solution and no longer supported.
But I've use this for quite a while without issue, until today.

> Both 36FFF20158EC6.A07F8 and EB63E20158EC6.A4FB8 were logged to
> MailWatch. I don't use MailWatch and don't know what's in those logs,
> but perhaps there is a clue there.

What MailWatch does is just get information from maillog and save in
mysql, then present as web page report. In this case MailWatch correctly
shows the email is from Trent.

I also looked mailman log files:
[root at zeta mailman]# grep "Sep 20 09:18" post
Sep 20 09:18:12 2016 (2929) post to sjv-geosupport from
sydv at mydomain.com, size=18655,
message-id=<f403fa07-76de-98d9-6796-16570519b9b3 at sjgeophysics.com>, success

[root at zeta mailman]# grep "Sep 20 09:18" smtp
Sep 20 09:18:12 2016 (2929)
<f403fa07-76de-98d9-6796-16570519b9b3 at mydomain.com> smtp to
sjv-geosupport for 33 recips, completed in 0.131 seconds

So I see here in log file "post" it's already from Syd. If MailMan did
not change the header, then I think the autoreponse script is highly
suspicious.

My problem now is I can't re-produce this. In fact, we have other
people(include me) replied Syd's original email, all seems correct.

Thank you for the help.

Gao