[Mailman-Users] mailman not respecting /etc/postfix/transport ???

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Sep 9 13:38:25 EDT 2016

On 09/09/2016 07:33 AM, Steve Wehr wrote:
> Thanks Mark, Here are the results of the tests you suggested. Both attempts
> at telnet failed.
>
> Tried your experiment:
>
> /etc/postfix>telnet localhost 25
> Trying ::1...
> telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.

Interesting. I suggest you put

SMTPHOST = '127.0.0.1'

in mm_cfg.py since 'localhost' seems to resolve at least first to an
IPv6 address on which Postfix isn't listening. I don't see exactly how
this will help, but it might.

Now, given that Postfix doesn't like steve at tunedinweb.com, the question
is what are the PHP scripts that mail to this address doing. Are they
connecting to this Postfix differently or even at all (maybe they
connect to mx.emailsrvr.com).

> /etc/postfix/transport:
> steve at tunedinweb.com            smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> steves at tunedinweb.com           smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> stevew at tunedinweb.com           smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> wehr at tunedinweb.com             smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> stiert at tunedinweb.com           smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> admin at tunedinweb.com            smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> errors at tunedinweb.com           smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> events at tunedinweb.com           smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> feedback at tunedinweb.com         smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> email at tunedinweb.com            smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> ideachamp_order at tunedinweb.com  smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> inquiry at tunedinweb.com          smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> mailman at tunedinweb.com          smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> mailman_admin at tunedinweb.com    smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> mailman-owner at tunedinweb.com    smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> orders at tunedinweb.com           smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> payments at tunedinweb.com         smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> root at tunedinweb.com             smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> security at tunedinweb.com         smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> tunedin at tunedinweb.com          smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> verify at tunedinweb.com           smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> abuse at tunedinweb.com            smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com
> postmaster at tunedinweb.com       smtp:mx.emailsrvr.com

If you add

local_recipient_maps = proxy:unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps $transport_maps

to Postfix main.cf, I think that will work. This is actually only adding
$transport_maps as proxy:unix:passwd.byname and $alias_maps are the
defaults. This will ensure that none of the addresses in transport_maps
(/etc/postfix/transport) is rejected as an unknown local recipient.

It appears that Postfix is doing the local recipient check before
consulting transport_maps for a transport.

I'm not that knowledgeable about the details of Postfix to fully
understand this, but I think adding $transport_maps to
local_recipient_maps in this case will solve your issue without causing
other problems, but I suggest you test and be prepared to reverse when
you do this.