[Mailman-Users] Digest formatting--clickable TOC?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Sep 6 21:41:21 EDT 2016

On 09/06/2016 05:59 AM, Matt Morgan wrote:

> Now that I understand them, I think I'll start using MIME digests them for
> myself when I can. And I like offering the option. The question is more,
> what would I use as the default? And I think honestly that putting everyone
> on MIME digests would substantially decrease readership on this list. We'd
> be "hiding" posts in attachments--essentially adding a click or two before
> people can see them; and since the readers on this list are also the
> authors, that will discourage writing, too. Too risky!

As I've posted before, how the MIME digest is rendered is highly
dependent upon the user's MUA (aka mail client, aka mail reader). Some
MUAs do an excelent job of displaying all the messages inline while
allowing opening and replying to individual messages just as if they'd
been received individually. Others are a complete disaster. Mane are in
between.

Thus, each user has to see how MIME digests are rendered in her
preferred MUA and chose MIME or plain accordingly.

On my digestable lists, I default to MIME on the theory that those that
don't like it will complain and I can tell them how to switch. If you
default to plain, digest members may never know there is another choice
that they may prefer.

However, this decision is also dependent on the list and its user
community and defaulting to MIME may not be appropriate in situations
other than mine.