[Mailman-Users] Digest formatting--clickable TOC?

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 08:59:25 EDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 4:32 AM, Lucio Chiappetti <lucio at lambrate.inaf.it>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Sep 2016, Matt Morgan wrote:
>
> The eventual publication looks a lot like a mailman digest, and that's
>> what I'm switching it to.
>>

> I see that over the weekend there was some discussion about digests, not
> only in this thread !
>
> I understand that mailman can do digests as a series of MIME attachments
>> to the TOC email, one for each posting. I don't think that's going to work
>> for this crowd, although I'm not sure.
>>

> Personally I do use MIME digests (not plain text ones) for almost all the
> lists I'm subscribed to (actually ALL which allow it). But then my MUA
> (Alpine) with some customization (including a formail-based shell script)
> can turn the MIME digests into a temporary mail folder, where I can access
> each posting as a normal e-mail.  And even if I would not have my scripts,
> I could still natively view the attachment index and access the RFC822
> attachment one by one as a normal e-mail.
>
> I love how you subscribe to a digest then use your mailer to extract
individual messages. This is real power-user territory!

Now that I understand them, I think I'll start using MIME digests them for
myself when I can. And I like offering the option. The question is more,
what would I use as the default? And I think honestly that putting everyone
on MIME digests would substantially decrease readership on this list. We'd
be "hiding" posts in attachments--essentially adding a click or two before
people can see them; and since the readers on this list are also the
authors, that will discourage writing, too. Too risky!