[Mailman-Users] cannot subscribe from outside using web interface

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Thu Oct 27 10:03:51 EDT 2016

Camelia Botez writes:

 > Our mailman server is on DMZ and a couple of month ago was changed
 > to work https.
 > From inside LAN we can access mailman.domain/mailman/listinfo/test
 > and subscribe using browser interface.
 > From outside LAN we get :
 > The site cannot be reached    mailman.org refused to connect.
 >
 > Any idea ?

If you're able to access via HTTPS from inside, but can't even connect
from outside, it's probably a firewall issue, and not something we can
help with.

1.  Are there any other HTTPS resources on that server that you can test?
    If you can access other resources but not to Mailman, perhaps your
    frontend webserver (Apache?) is not configured the same for HTTPS
    as it was for HTTP.
2.  Use tcptraceroute from outside to port 443 on the Mailman host to
    find out where the connection is broken.  The "<host> refused to
    connect" is often misleading -- in many cases the attempted
    connection never reaches <host>, but the error message says
    "refused".
3.  Double-check your firewall configuration, and also the network
    filter configuration of the Mailman host.

HTH

Steve