[Mailman-Users] "Prevent" Reply-all

Ryan C Stasel rstasel at uoregon.edu
Tue Oct 25 17:46:25 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I’ve been googling a bit, but the only thing I can find is from back in 2010 (https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2010-May/069388.html) as to if it’s possible to configure a mailman list to “prevent” reply-all.

Basically, I support a lot of users that seem to not realize the difference between the two, or they just don’t care if everyone gets inundated with “thanks” and “congrats” responses. So I’m curious if there’s any way to make a mailman list not easily accommodate reply-all. I thought reply-to munging would work, but it doesn’t sound like it does. What I want is really what rpschwar wanted back then.

User A send message to list. List members get the mail, but it “appears” to be from User A and not from the list. So a Reply and Reply-all both do the same thing. To really reply-all, users would have to physically type in the mail list address into their To or CC fields.

Is this possible (short of re-educating our users about how “reply-all” really isn’t appropriate in most cases)?

Thanks!

-Ryan Stasel