[Mailman-Users] Message.UserNotification vs Message.OwnerNotification in Handlers/Hold.py

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 20 13:26:27 EDT 2016

Just a few quick remarks:

On 10/20/2016 02:10 AM, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
>
> Note: this also assumes that one is following the point #3 under
> "MAILING LISTS" advice on http://www.opendkim.org/opendkim-README
> which says:
>
>              In opendkim.conf(5), configure the option SenderHeaders
> to "Sender,From".

I use

SenderHeaders           List-Post,Sender,From

This probably doesn't help here because notices don't have a List-Post:
header.

> The above statement makes sense for mailinglist traffic, BUT no so
> much for mailinglist notifications.... but if DKIM is configure as
> stated, then Mailman list notifications (owner/bounces/passwords/etc)
> need to set Sender: headers that align with the virtual domain not the
> sitelist domain.  That looked be the default intention of using
> Message.OwnerNotification()

Agreed.

>> I don't understand why you are making this change as the sender
>> originally is Utils.get_site_email(mlist.host_name, 'bounces'), so it
>> already has the list's domain.
>>

> The change baffled me too.  It wasn't visually necessary by looking at
> the code, but in practice it needed to be changed.   I verified list
> settings to make sure mlist.host_name was the virtual, I dug into
> Utils.get_site_email(), and everything seemed to be coded correctly.
> But it was only after I removed the call to Utils.get_site_email(...)
> and replaced it with mlist.getListAddress('bounces') that the "Bounce
> action notification" emails started to be delivered as
> From:list-bounces at virtal, Sender:list-bounces at virtual,
> To:list-owner at virtual.
>
> I'm not in over my head on this, I'm literally floating on the bottom :-)

At some point, I will have time to actually test some of this and figure
out what's going on and what's required. I agree that using
Message.OwnerNotification() is generally preferable to using
Message.UserNotification() to the list-owner address if for no other
reason that it allows leaving the moderators out of notices that don't
concern them.

Right now, I'm in the middle of a significant feature addition for MM 3.
When that's done, I'll have more time to look at this.